I love lentils because they are a great source of protein. This rustic soup is so easy to make. It’s wonderful because you can throw it together quickly for not much money and it makes a lot so you can feed a houseful. You can be creative with this basic recipe; add beef tips or chicken if you want. I used vegetable stock here, but beef or chicken stock is delicious too.
- Category: Soup
- 1 yellow onion, coarsley chopped
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 1 12-ounce roasted red peppers
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can tomato sauce
- 32 fluid ounces vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 4 tablespoons parsley
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 14 1/2-ounce cans whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 fresh habenero pepper, minced
- Soak lentils for one hour. Drain and rinse.
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot. Add the celery, onion, garlic. Sauté until softened and the onions are translucent.
- Add the lentils, vegetable stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and habanero pepper.
- Season with salt and fresh herbs.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes.