If you over did it with the hamburgers and ice cream on the Fourth of July, you’ll enjoy this recipe for grilled catfish seasoned with fresh herbs, lemon, red onion and brown mustard.
- Category: Entree
- 4 (3 to 5 ounce) U. S. farm raised catfish fillets
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- additional herbs and lemon slices for garnish
- Rinse the catfish fillets in cold water and pat dry. Set aside.
- In a zip-top food storage bag, combine all the remaining ingredients. Add the catfish fillets. Seal the bag and marinate them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Turn the bag once or twice to evenly coat the fish in marinade. Do not marinate catfish for more than 30 minutes because the acid from the lemon will "cook" the catfish, which changes the texture.
- Heat your grill. Carefully oil the grill rack or grill basket.
- Remove the catfish from marinade. Set aside the remaining marinade to use later.
- Place the fish on a gas grill over medium heat or on a charcoal grill 4 to 6 inches over medium coals.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until the fish is opaque in center, turning once.
- Meanwhile, place the reserved marinade in small saucepan and heat over high heat until boiling. Cook for one minute.
- Remove the fish from grill to a serving platter. Pour the heated marinade over fish.
- Garnish with herbs and lemon.