When the temperature drops and the days become shorter few things taste as good to me as hot homemade soup, particularly when I’ve been working outside.
A few years ago a friend gave me a recipe from a famous French restaurant for a robust tomato soup, and it’s the best I’ve ever had.
You could try pairing this with my Grown-Up Grilled Cheese.
- Category: Soup
- 4 cups peeled and diced tomatoes
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 12 fresh basil leaves (or 3 teaspoons of dried, crushed leaves)
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- Salt to taste
- Pour the tomatoes into a large saucepan along with four cups of tomato juice. and let this simmer for about 30 minutes
- Add the basil to the tomato mixture and pour into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan and add one stick of unsalted butter, one cup of whipping cream, and about a fourth of a teaspoon of cracked pepper and salt to taste.
- Now just heat the soup through, allowing the butter to melt. Stir frequently and it will be ready in a few minutes.
- Ladle into a large bowl and serve with crusty bread or crackers.