My good friend Vickie Newton shared this delightful recipe for preserving pears. It’s so simple, and the finished product lets the flavor of the pears truly shine. It’s absolutely divine over ice cream or other desserts.
Watch us cook this recipe on YouTube.
- Yield: 12 pint jars
- 6 to 7 lbs of pears, any variety, peeled, deseeded and quartered
- 1 cup sugar per lb
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup water, depending on juice in the pears
- Sterilize jars according to package direction.
- Let pears simmer and cook down in a stove pot until mostly liquefied and chunky.
- Ladle into jars and seal in a hot water bath for 10 to 15 minutes. Decorate the tops with decorative burlap and twine.