This recipe for marinated, grilled artichokes comes from the heart of artichoke country – California. Fresh herbs, garlic and olive oil are a few of the ingredients that make this recipe so delicious.
- Category: Side Dishes
- 1 cup White Wine
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 4 Artichokes
- 2 cups Olive Oil
- 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Oregano, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Marjoram, Chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Cut off top 1/3 of artichoke. (This enables you to remove the choke after boiling.) Next trim the tips of leaves. Fill a large pot with enough water to cover artichokes, then add 1 cup of white wine and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Boil the artichokes in water, wine, and lemon juice for about 25 to 30 minutes. This gives them a special flavor and it also helps preserve their color.
- Set aside the cooked artichokes and prepare the marinade by combining 2 cups of olive oil, with 1 cup Balsamic vinegar, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, and 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Once artichokes have cooled, remove the choke. The choke is the thistle-like center. I just scoop it out with a spoon.
- Drizzle artichokes with the marinade, setting aside enough to coat each artichoke after cooking. Then wrap each artichoke individually in foil. Place on hot coals in grill for about five to seven minutes. Remove from foil and brush with remaining marinade. Serve hot.