It’s been reported that 90 percent of all gardeners grow tomatoes. There’s just something about this fruit that makes us want to plant a few. This past summer at the Garden Home Retreat we planted over 50 varieties — slicers, cherries and paste types. For this simple Greek salad I picked five ‘Celebrity’ tomatoes, which are large, meaty and flavorful.
- Category: Salad
- 5 large, ripe tomatoes cut into 1/3-inch thick rounds
- 1 small, red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup Kalamata olives
- Arrange the tomato slices on a large platter.
- Spread the onion slices over the tomatoes.
- Drizzle the olive oil into the vinegar, whisking as you pour. Sprinkle this over the tomatoes and onions.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese, olives and parsley.