Viking Chef Chris Green puts the Ruby Red grapefruits from Mission, Texas to work in this recipe for Grapefruit Sorbet.
- Category: Dessert
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grapefruit zest (zest before juicing grapefruit)
- juice of 2 grapefruits or 1 1/2 cups pink grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 1 teaspoon grenadine optional
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Cool completely.
- Combine the grapefruit juice, zest and sugar/water mixture with the vodka and optional grenadine (for color) in a metal bowl. Chill in the refrigerator or by placing the metal bowl over a larger bowl filled with ice water until 40 degrees F.
- Pour chilled mixture into the container of an ice cream machine and churn until frozen.
- Scoop frozen sorbet into a container. Seal and transfer container to freezer for several hours to allow sorbet to firm up. Sorbet will keep frozen for up to 3 days.