Before I travel to a city I like to learn a little about the history, customs and, most importantly, favorite foods. This coffee cake is a tradition in Saint Louis, Missouri. It’s a super buttery, rich treat that is easy enough to prepare in your own kitchen. No need to travel to Saint Louis to try it, although I highly recommend it if you are in the area.
- Category: Dessert
- 1 18.25 ounce package of yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, separated
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Combine the cake mix, 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 2 eggs. Stir until well blended.
- Press this mixture into a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Using an electric hand beater, mix together 8 ounces of cream cheese, 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla until creamy. Continue beating while gradually adding 4 cups confectioners' sugar.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the yellow cake layer.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.