Skip to content
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 5 roma tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 cup molasses
- pepper, to taste
- Start by melting 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium sauce pan
- Then add the onion and garlic and saute until tender.
- Next, stir in the tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of dry mustard and 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Bring this mixture to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer the sauce, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The last step is to stir in 1/2 cup of molasses and a little black pepper. Simmer, uncovered, an additional 10 minutes.
- You'll notice that the sauce is a little chunky; you can leave it like this or puree it in a food processor. Pureeing it makes it a little thicker, especially after it's been refrigerated.
- This recipe makes 1 pint, but can easily be doubled or tripled. and it's best to make the night before and store in the fridge; the flavors will blend together and the sauce will get thicker.