- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1 cup whipping cream, chilled
- 2 jumbo eggs
Ingredients for Glaze
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cream
- Sift dry ingredients together, then add diced butter and blend with a pastry cutter. Dough should look like coarse crumbs.
- Beat eggs and cream together.
- Add mixture to dry ingredients and combine until just moist.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead three or four times.
- Pat or roll the dough into a circle about one inch high.
- Using a two-inch, round cookie cutter cut out circles.
- Press the cutter into the dough firmly, pull up and tap the scone gently. I've learned that if you twist the cutter to release the scone, it will rise unevenly when baking.
- Repeat the process with any dough left over from the cutting.
- Place scones on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- For the glaze, combine egg yolk and one tablespoon of cream with a whisk.
- Brush this on the tops of the scones, then sprinkle the teaspoon of sugar over the top.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 degrees and cook until golden brown.
- Serve with clotted cream* or butter and your favorite preserves.