This recipe is a good example of how to prepare a traditional favorite with good-for-you ingredients. Eggs Benedict. I love it, but it sure doesn’t love me. This version uses Greek yogurt and quinoa to give it a healthy makeover.
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cooked, chopped asparagus
- 2 eggs
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (half a lemon)
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Get the water simmering in the bottom half of the double boiler and place the Greek yogurt into the top pan. Whisking as you go add the egg yolks, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, sugar, salt, pepper, thyme and paprika.
- Mix thoroughly and continue to cook until thickened. Remove from heat and allow to rest while you prepare the eggs.
- Combine the leftover egg whites and two whole eggs. Scramble the eggs in a lightly greased skillet.
- Stir about 1/3 cup of the Hollandaise sauce into the quinoa and top with scrambled eggs. Pour the remaining Hollandaise over the eggs. Then finish it off with chopped, fresh tomatoes.
- Place the quinoa and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the quinoa to a serving dish and add the chopped asparagus. Set aside.