If you’re lucky enough to have a fig tree in your backyard, you will love this recipe from Darla Huie with Dizzy’s Bistro. If you don’t have fig trees in your backyard, you can find them at the local market throughout the mid and late summer. This recipe is simple and fast. It’s also very unique. Dates and figs are sweetened here with chocolate and honey and a hint of salt is added in the form of Stilton cheese crumbles. This would make a lovely appetizer or dessert.
- Category: Appetizer
- to 3 dark chocolate squares (85 percent Cocoa)
- 5 to 6 dates and figs
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. (One infused with dates is especially nice.)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup of Stilton cheese crumbles (Darla used a mango-ginger variety)
- 3 to five slices of toasted baguette slices
- Heat Balsamic vinegar in a shallow pan over low heat.
- Add honey and cook until it bubbles.
- Add the chocolate squares and heat until melted.
- Add the dates and figs.
- Stir to coat.
- Place the fruit on a few slices of toasted bread.
- Drizzle with remaining sauce and top with crumbled cheese.