Savannah has always been a fun place to visit – the architecture, history and gardens are all big draws for me. and the food can’t be beat! I just love the local specialties and tasty twists on traditional Southern cuisine. During a trip to Savannah last spring I met up with chef Chris Nason of the Sapphire Grill and he gave me this recipe for cold seafood salad. Chris leaves the choice of root vegetables to the cook. I like to use whatever is readily available, usually baby carrots and fingerling potatoes. Parsnips, rutabagas, turnips and celeriac would also work.
- Category: Entree
- 1 cup cooked jumbo lump crab meat, chilled
- 1 cup cooked lobster meat, chilled
- 1 cup quartered, steamed and chilled baby root vegetables of your choice
- 1/2 cup champagne, reduce by half
- 1/4 cup fine extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon de-stemmed herbs of your choice
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- juice from 2 limes
- zest of one lime
- In a large mixing bowl add all the ingredients except the lobster, crab and herbs.
- Whisk vigorously.
- Add the crab, lobster and herbs and gently toss.
- Serve immediately.