I grew up eating garlic bread that was made with a dash of garlic powder and a whole lot of margarine. Imagine my delight when I discovered real garlic, garlic bread. I wanted to have it with every meal!
This version prepared with fresh basil and Parmesan is delicious served with homegrown tomatoes in summer or as an accompaniment to a bowl of hot soup in winter.
- Category: Bread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 to 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 sixteen ounce Italian bread loaf or French baguette
- Run the garlic through a garlic press. If you don't have a garlic press, mash it with the back of a wooden spoon and mince.
- Combine the garlic, butter and basil in a bowl.
- Cut the bread in half lengthwise.
- Spread the butter over each half of the bread.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Return the bread to the oven and broil for 2 or 3 minutes until the cheese has melted and the edges of the bread are toasted.