Broccoli is one of my favorite cool season vegetables. I always plant plenty in the late fall and early spring.
Here is a recipe for a great broccoli salad and buttermilk dressing that I received from Regina Charboneau in Natchez. You can find more of her great recipes in her cookbook Regina’s Kitchen.
- Category: Salad
- 2 pounds Fresh Broccoli Florets
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Sweet Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 pound Bacon
- Cherry Tomatoes to Garnish
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Celery Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Dill
- 1/4 cup Minced Green Onion
- To make the dressing combine the dressing ingredients in a small metal or glass bowl and blend with a wire whisk until smooth. Set aside while you make the salad.
- Blanch the broccoli florets in boiling water for 2 minutes. Immediately strain in a colander and run under cold water to cool. Set aside.
- Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces then cook over medium heat until very crisp. Place on a paper towel to drain excess fat.
- Cut the onion in half then slice into thin pieces. Cut the red bell pepper into thin strips.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes.