I always find room for broccoli in my spring garden. It is so easy to grow and you just can’t beat the flavor when it is fresh out of the garden.
I received this recipe from a local caterer, Rob Best of Simply the Best Catering. The unexpected combination of ingredients creates a delightful salad. For a leaner dish use light mayonnaise and turkey bacon. Sunflower seeds are also a tasty addition.
- Category: Salad
- 2 pounds of broccoli florets (about 2 bundles)
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons red onion
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 8 slices of bacon
- Prepare the bacon according to the package directions.
- Chop and blanch the broccoli by dropping it in boiling water for about 2 minutes. When you remove the florets from the boiling water, run them under cold water to stop the cooking. This will make them a nice deep green with a crisp texture.
- Finely chop the red onion.
- Drain and crumble the bacon.
- Combine the bacon with the broccoli, raisins and onions.
- Mix mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar and, just prior to serving, toss with all ingredients.