Thanks to the canned beets many of us remember from childhood this root crop has never seen the popularity that I think it deserves. Roasted beets are really quite delicious especially some of the specialty varieties such as Detroit Dark Red, a small beet that is exceptionally sweet or Yellow Detroit, which is very tender and mild. I received this salad recipe from my friends at Earthbound Farm. It’s in their cookbook Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook.
Get the Orange Walnut Vinaigrette recipe.
- Category: Salad
- 1 pound roasted beets ( baby beets are best, but larger beets will work as well)
- 1/3 cup Orange Walnut Vinaigrette
- 5 ounces baby arugula, washed and dried
- 2 blood oranges or naval oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 cup feta cheese goat cheese is nice too
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- Cut the beets in half or quarter so that they are bite size. If you are using larger beets, cut them into 1/2-inch dice.
- Place the beets in a small bowl, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette, and toss until the beets are coated. The salad can be prepared to this stage a day in advance, if desired.
- Just before you plan to serve the salad, place the arugula in a large salad bowl. Add about 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Toss to lightly coat the arugula, then taste to see if more vinaigrette is needed.
- Transfer the arugula to a platter or individual salad plates. Arrange the beets and orange segments, if using, on top of the green and sprinkle with feta and walnuts over them.
- Serve immediately.