Cold winter weather is perfect for a bowl of hearty beef stew.
- Category: Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, mashed
- 6 or 7 small potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- Trim the fat off the beef and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Boil the beef pieces for about 30 minutes, drain and set aside. This will make the beef extra tender without possibly overcooking the carrots and potatoes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy stockpot.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the beef, carrots, potatoes, bay leaves, red wine, beef broth and tomato paste, bring to a boil then reduce heat. Simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until vegetables and are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and discard bay leaves before serving.