Here’s a tasty twist on sweet potato casserole. Chef and cookbook author, Regina Charboneau gives this classic winter dish an update. Baked sweet potatoes are topped with a spicy fruit chutney. It’s easy to prepare, serve and clean up.
- Category: Side Dishes
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup black currants
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup diced Granny Smith green apples
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
Sweet Potato Ingredients
- 6 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons Canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- Sour cream to garnish
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Rub them with Canola oil, place on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree F for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the center is soft.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, make the chutney.
- Slowly melt the butter in a sauce pan.
- Add the red onion, red and green bell pepper and saute for one minute.
- Add the vinegar, brown sugar, currants, raisins and cranberries and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the diced apples, allspice and ginger and cook for another 10 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are hot, cut each one in half and top with sour cream and chutney.
- Serve immediately.