Here’s a great tasting, simple recipe for a baked apricot dish that only requires 4 ingredients. Now I’ll warn you this isn’t for the diet conscious or those counting calories, but we all have to splurge a little.
- Category: Side Dishes
- 4 6-ounce packages of dried apricots or 4 15-ounce cans
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 box of Ritz crackers, broken into pieces
- 2 sticks of butter
- Start by soaking the 4 packages of dried apricots in boiling water - it will take only about 15 minutes for them to rehydrate. Or, open and drain the 4 cans of apricots.
- With the apricots ready, remove them from the water or juice and line the bottom of a 2 quart buttered casserole dish with half of them.
- Over the apricots, layer half of the light brown sugar 3/4 cup followed by 1/2 box of Ritz crackers, broken into small pieces. Then cut up 1 stick of butter into small pieces and distribute the pieces evenly over the crackers. Repeat with another layer of apricots, brown sugar, Ritz crackers and butter. Bake for 1 hour in a preheated 300-degree oven.
- This dish is delicious served with pork, chicken or duck and you may want to consider preparing it for a holiday dinner. I think it's best served as a dessert. All you have to do is put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.