Autumn is such a bountiful season it is hard to select a signature fruit or vegetable. Pumpkins, pears, winter squashes, and a variety of nuts come to mind as symbolic types of produce of the season. and what would fall be without fresh apples?
This recipe for two individual apple pies is just right for a cozy meal on a crisp autumn night. Top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or, if you hail from New England, a slice of melted sharp cheddar cheese.
- Category: Dessert
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- dash salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 or 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and sugar in a bowl. Stir to blend. Add the apples and lemon juice and toss to coat. Set aside.
- To make the crust, sift the flour and salt together in a medium sized bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and oil. Add this to the flour until well blended. It\'s ready when the mixture is still crumbly but holds together when pressed.
- Form the dough into 2 balls and flatten them slightly with your hands.
- You will only need one of the balls for the pie crust. Wrap the other one in plastic and freeze for later use.
- Place the remaining pie dough between 2 pieces of waxed paper about 12 inches square in size and using a roll pin, flatten the dough out to about 1/8th inch thick.
- Once the dough is rolled out, place a ramekin on top of the surface of the dough and press it in gently to make an impression. Remove the ramekin. Cut out a circle a little larger than the ramekin impression. Repeat.
- Split the apple mixture between filling two seven-ounce ramekins. Don\'t be afraid to pile it up because the apples will cook down. Dot with butter and top with the pie dough crust. Crimp the pie crust edges and slice the top of the dough a few times for air vents.
- Place the ramekins on a cookie sheet and bake them in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 40 minutes until the top is golden brown. Remove and serve.